With the new rugby season kick-off at Parc y Scarlets against European champions Leinster just weeks away, the Scarlets are building excitement and anticipation amongst supporters after unveiling their new kit for 2012/13.
True to Scarlets values and so popular with supporters last year, the home kit proudly retains its deep Scarlets red and personality carried forward from last season with a new modern dragon wing motif and detail that wraps around the shirt and its player.
The dark chocolate brown away kit alludes to the Scarlets great heritage and respects the region’s 140 glorious years of rugby and its origins as a rugby club with one of the first-ever Scarlet kits coloured in red and chocolate quarters in 1883/84.
The theme for the new season embraces the power, scope and openness of the outstretched dragon from the famous and iconic Scarlets logo, the heart of the region’s Welsh roots – which is found in different guises on the new kit both home and away.
And the kit will be launched at the Scarlets’ family welcome to the new season event NEXT FRIDAY 27th JULY (doors open 6.30pm) when the whole Scarlets squad reunite together with their supporters and sponsors for the first time this summer as part of the pre-season excitement.
This will be supporters chance to welcome home all the region’s international players – who will be at Parc y Scarlets for a true heart and soul rugby country evening out, designed especially for the growing number Scarlets season ticket holders and supporters.
Free to everyone, the event will be held in the Scarlets’ indoor training arena and Supporters Village and it’s expected to be a buzzing evening with a host of international and regional Scarlets players, sponsors and community partners to celebrate the launch of the new 2012/2013 season playing kit and welcome everyone to an inspiring new rugby season at Parc y Scarlets.
Revealing a sneak preview of the new kit today (Friday 20th July) ahead of the big event next Friday evening, Scarlets captain Rob McCusker said pulling on the Scarlets shirt was an honour to all the players in the squad. He added this year’s modern kit balanced the needs of the player battling on the field as well as reflecting the strength, passion and deep-seated Scarlets values in its design and colour.
Rob McCusker said: “As players we need the very latest clothing technology on the field to compete but equally important is pulling on a shirt that means something to us as Scarlets and that we’re proud to show as a team.
“We’re really pleased with the look, feel and design of this year’s kit – the away kit is very strong and bold with the home kit staying true to the Scarlets red which has such impact whenever we play.”
The Scarlets will unveil their sensational new European kit at later date in their community as part of their Scarlets summer in the region tour. There will be two events – one at the Pembrokeshire Show (13th,14th, 15th August) and then an exciting “Meet the Scarlets players” family event at Folly Farm, Pembrokeshire on Wednesday 15th August.
Mark Davies, Scarlets Chief Executive said that last season’s kit was a big success and the region hoped that the new look for 2012/13 will have an equally high take-up: “The team here at Parc y Scarlets are always inspired by the great loyalty, passion and pride our supporters have in our rugby team, our home at Parc y Scarlets and the club’s great traditions.
“The shirt must reflect that and be relevant to our supporters with a design that captures the spirit of who we are as well. It’s a huge season for the Scarlets on and off the field with some key events outside the rugby calendar too including the 40th anniversary of the 9-3 game in November this year – so it’s a time for celebration and pride as well as optimism in our development of fresh rugby talent.
“Our playing kit and our shirt represents who we are as a community, as a team and as a business and it’s about portraying our spirit as Scarlets, the sense of being a bit more subtle and our strength coming from our roots and values.
“With the impact of a shirt that undoubtedly stands out from the crowd, we hope that wearing it as a player or supporter fuels pride and passion in who we are as Scarlets.”
The Scarlets team hope the new kit will excite supporters young and older and with the new shirts in store at Parc y Scarlets from today there’s also the chance to order the new shirt online from the increasingly popular Scarlets online store at www.scarlets.co.uk.
The kit has been produced by the official kit supplier Burrda Sport, one of the fastest growing international sportswear providers with a focus on producing the highest standards of quality and latest technology products.
Burrda Sport, based in Switzerland, also supply kits to Northampton Saints, Biarritz, Toulon, Leicester City , Wolves amongst others signed a record six-figure kit deal with the Scarlets in 2010 for four years and are supplying both playing kits and full training kit including all off-field rugby gear for the Scarlets team with an emphasis on durability and comfort.
Key features of the Scarlets kit:
• The Scarlets Dragon– a sign of Scarlets endeavour, bravery, strength, passion, heritage and pride. The emblem of the dragon with outstretched wings is from the club’s earliest origins (originated from Llanelli RFC logo).
• The design of the shirt portrays part of the Dragon logo being wrapped around the shirt with contrast ghosting around the centre of shirt – signifying the collective spirit of the club and its heritage which now supports our current team and every player that puts the shirt on. The Scarlets identity that is at the heart of what the club does and inspires and from which you take support and strength.
• “Heart and Soul” on the sleeve hems– on left hand side in English and right hand side of sleeve hem in Welsh. Words to Sosban Fach is found tucked inside the collar at the back – the first line of the folk song is on the home shirt, second line on the away shirt.
• Use of the dragon emblem solo without Scarlets lettering underneath on the home or away shirts. The focus is on the dragon as the portrayal of the Scarlets true heart and identity.
• The dragon is emblazoned with 3D effect using latest technology from Burrda Sport. This technology allows the ‘badge’ to stand out prominently using the very latest ‘Sensila’ microfibre technology described as giving ‘a living touch’.
• The playing kit has a unique fabric technology that allows the absorption and transfusion of body moisture into the fibres while allowing air to circulate around the body
• Hydrophilic affect
• Absorbs sweat keeping skin dry
• Air Permeability
• Cools body providing ultimate comfort
• Easy Care
• Extremely durable and retains garment shape
Detailed prices for the new kit are found online with match day home and away shirts at £64.95, children’s match day home shirts £54.95 and replica away and home shirts for men and ladies at £54.95 and replica children’s shirts at £44.95. Infant sets with shirts, shorts and socks are £45.00.