It was a momentous afternoon for Italian rugby on Saturday, as they beat South Africa for the first time in their history.
Zebre’s Carlo Canna’s late penalty handed them a 20-18 success, with his clubmates Dries van Schalkwyk and Giovanbattista Venditti scoring the tries.
Here we’ve picked out six of the best reactions on social media to the historic success, with Guinness PRO12 stars coming to the fore.
1. Dries van Schalkwyk scored against the country of his birth – he was quick to pay tribute to Italy and Zebre. “Thank you to Zebre and Italy for this moment. We created history.”
— Zebre Rugby (@ZebreRugby) November 21, 2016
2. Giovanbattista Venditti shows plenty of power to bounce off Elton Jantjies on the way to giving Italy the lead in the second half:
— Eurosport IT (@Eurosport_IT) November 19, 2016
3. Unsurprisingly the winger was more than a little excited after the win. “Yesterday was fantastic, thanks to all those in the stands and all those supporting us in their hearts.”
— Giamba Venditti (@giambavenditti) November 20, 2016
4. Glasgow Warriors flanker Simone Favaro said: “There’s nothing more beautiful than a united and happy Italy after an historic victory.”
Non c’é cosa piu bella di sentire la mia Italia unita e gioiosa dopo una vittoria storica. Siamo un movimento in… https://t.co/uV0RYkmQl4
— simone favaro (@FavaroSimone) November 19, 2016
5. And of course Glasgow Warriors were happy to congratulate their man of the match!
— Glasgow Warriors ? (@GlasgowWarriors) November 19, 2016
6. Last but not least, the FIR’s picture of the entire Italian team showed just how much this meant to Italian rugby.
— Italrugby (@Federugby) November 19, 2016
Guinness PRO12 Final 2017 Ticket Information: Fans can save up to 20% on selected tickets, and prices start at just €30 adults and €5 child, and be booked via www.ticketmaster.ie. For further information visit http://www.pro12rugby.com/final