DFP Header Area


LIVE - Match Header

Summary Timeline

Match stats - Fix Info

Match Stats - Timeline

LIVE - Performance

Allan try sees Warriors back to winning ways

Alex Allan’s first try of the season saw Glasgow Warriors get back to winning ways in the Guinness PRO12 as they survived a second-half fightback from Newport Gwent Dragons to win 26-17 at Rodney Parade.

Glasgow Warriors were looking to avoid losing three successive league games for the first time since the 2010/11 campaign and looked in control at half-time as they led 16-3 thanks to a Corey Flynn try and the boot of Finn Russell.

But two tries in five minutes after the restart from Sam Hobbs and Jack Dixon saw the Dragons nudge one point ahead.

However, the lead was shortlived as Allan put the visitors back in front and Russell kicked a late penalty en route to recording a fifth-straight victory over the Dragons.

The home side had the first chance to get on the scoreboard but Nick Macleod sent his fifth-minute penalty wide after Glasgow were pinged for not rolling away.

And just moments later Russell showed Macleod how it is done as he slotted his effort through the posts to give Glasgow the lead as Hallam Amos conceded a penalty after scrambling back in defence.

The home side went straight on the attack and after 12 phases looked as though they were destined for the game’s first try, only to lose possession and the Warriors to kick the ball away.

And it led to a chance for the visitors as a clever cross-kick from Russell was straight into the hands of Tommy Seymour, but the wing knocked on following pressure from Dragons full-back Carl Meyer.

But Glasgow did nudge further ahead on 25 minutes as Dragons lock Rynard Landman illegally used his hand to flick the ball away at a ruck and Russell made it two kicks from two attempts.

And things got even better for the visitors as a drive following a line out resulted in Flynn going over, with Russell converting for a 13-0 lead just before the half-hour mark.

However, moments later Glasgow flanker Fraser Brown was adjudged to have put in a no-arms tackle on Dragons No.8 Lewis Evans and was sent to the sin bin, with Macleod successful with the resulting penalty to get the home side on the scoreboard.

But from the restart the Dragons were offside in their own 22 and Russell handed the Warriors back their 13-point lead as they visitors went in at half-time 16-3 ahead.

The Dragons started the second half strongly though and a strong carry from centre Dixon saw prop Hobbs spin out of a tackle and dot down, with Macleod adding the extras to bring his side to within six of the Warriors.

And the home side led for the first time just five minutes later as Dixon started and finished a move – that also saw good link up play Sam Beard and Amos – with Macleod once again converting.

The lead didn’t last long, however, as prop Allan demonstrated his impressive feed to cross the whitewash, with Russell converting.

That gave Glasgow a 23-17 lead after 52 minutes and the game became somewhat disjointed as a raft of replacements were introduced.

It was the home side who were next to threaten, but a mix up between Evans and Rhys Buckley resulted in a knock on with the Dragons just five metres out.

And at the other end Russell knocked over a late penalty to deny the Dragons a losing bonus point.

Guinness PRO12 Final 2017 Ticket Information: Fans can save up to 20% on selected tickets, and prices start at just €30 adults and €5 child, and be booked via www.ticketmaster.ie. For further information visit http://www.pro12rugby.com/final

Match Stats - Lineups